When alcohol starts to control your behavior and how you act when not drinking, then you may be suffering from a disorder described by doctors as alcohol use disorder. You may not believe it, but it’s actually considered a brain disease.
Some people become so obsessed with alcohol that it starts causing them problems in dealing with their daily lives. But it’s possible to address even the most severe cases of alcoholism with the help of the right treatment plan and ongoing support in Fort Lauderdale.
Alcoholic Behavior to Watch Out For
Family members may need to watch out for certain signs of alcoholic behaviors, which include:
- Binge drinking
- Mood swings
- A sudden change in performance at work or school
- Lack of interest in things that they used to enjoy
- Denial of too much alcohol use
- Violent behaviors
The right treatment program will depend on your situation and goals. It’s also possible to get a combination of these treatments through a program.
- Alcohol detox
- Behavioral therapy and counseling
- Group therapy
Alcohol Rehab Goals
While it’s true that each alcohol rehab center has its own program they follow, their goals are all pretty much the same. These goals include:
- End alcohol dependence and abuse
- Create a positive support system that can help encourage faster recovery
- Improve your overall health and personal circumstances
- Meet educational or employment goals
- Reduce violent or criminal behavior caused by alcohol
- Treat psychological and psychiatric problems
The Bottom Line
There is no wrong or right time to seek help for alcohol use disorder. However, alcoholism may trigger other serious health complications if it is left untreated for a very long time. Your doctor can help you identify which alcohol rehab program in Fort Lauderdale will work best for you, but you also need to take an active role in this endeavor.