Parents often treat a variety of common childhood illnesses and conditions, including ear infections and colds. Although attending to some of these conditions does not necessarily require specialized training, other childhood illnesses and disorders do indeed require a medical professional. When in doubt, always seek out the advice of a pediatrician to resolve your child’s health issues.
The Role of a Pediatrician
A pediatrician is there to provide medical services to children of all ages. He or she offers testing, diagnostic expertise, and treatment for a wide range of pediatric health issues. However, they are most familiar with certain childhood diseases and illnesses. Among those that figure most prominently on the list are:
- Croup: An infection of the throat and vocal cords, affecting children under-age-five, characteristics include cold-like symptoms.
- Fifth Disease: Also known as “slapped cheek syndrome,” this disease strikes those age three and under. Highly contagious it features a bright red cheek rash and often a mild fever and runny nose.
- Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease: Common in infants and young children, symptoms consist of a fever, painful mouth sores and a rash on the child’s hands and feet. Recovery for most occurs after a week.
- Impetigo: A common skin infection, the symptoms include red rashes on the skin. Pediatricians prescribe washing and antibiotics
- Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV): This affects the lungs. While it tends to be minor, mirroring the common cold, it can be severe for those who have a compromised immune system quickly manifesting as bronchitis or pneumonia.
- Scarlet Fever: Characterized by a fever and skin rash, antibiotics provide relief.
- Whooping Cough (Pertussis): This affects children of all ages. It resembles a cold in its early stages before becoming serious with coughing fits, spasms. The symptoms can last for months and require antibiotics.
Common childhood diseases can cause problems for parents. While they may readily treat some illnesses, they are not equipped to handle severe cases. For these, they would benefit from relying on the expertise of great pediatricians.